Nominations Deadline: December 31, 2021
The Health and Medical Geography Specialty Group (HMGSG) of the AAG is accepting nominations for the Emerging Scholar Award in Health and Medical Geography. The award seeks to recognize early career scholars who show significant potential for distinguished scholarship in health and/or medical geography. Early career scholars who are in their 2nd-8th years of receiving their Ph.D. degree from an accredited degree program at the time of the 2022 AAG meeting are eligible for the award.
Previous winners by year include
- 2021: Drs Marta M Jankowska (City of Hope Comprehensive Cancer Center) and; Trang VoPham (Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center)
- 2020: Drs. Colleen Reid (University of Colorado Boulder) and Jerry Shannon (University of Georgia) In 2020
- 2019: Drs. Michael Widener (University of Toronto, Canada) and Paul Delamater (University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill)
- 2018: Dr. Amber Pearson (Michigan State University)
- 2017: Drs. Maggie Carrel (University of Iowa) and Chris Uejio (Florida State University)
- 2016: Drs. Paul Mkandawire (Carleton University, Canada) and Kirsten Beyer (Medical College of Wisconsin)
- 2015: Drs. Debarchana Ghosh (University of Connecticut) and Elisabeth Root (University of Colorado at Boulder)
If you are interested in nominating a person for this award, please submit a nomination letter describing the nominee’s potential for distinguished scholarship and promise for impacting the future development of health and/or medical geography, and a copy of the nominee’s CV, preferably in PDF format, to Arrianna Marie Planey (firstname.lastname@example.org ) and Fikriyah Winata (email@example.com ) by 31 December 2021. Nominations will be evaluated by the HMGSG board. Nominees do not have to be members of HMGSG.