The Health & Medical Geography Specialty Group (HMGSG) of the AAG is accepting submissions for the Jacques May Thesis Prize.
- Awardees receive an official certificate & a cash award of $250 (doctoral) or $150 (Master’s).
- Since 1985, the prize has been awarded to master’s & doctoral theses that address themes in health & medical geography, broadly defined.
- Evaluated by a panel of reviewers, theses will be judged on their contribution to the
field, their methodological approach, organization, & written composition.
Eligibility: Master’s or doctoral theses officially completed during the 24 months prior to the submission deadline are eligible, provided that they have not been previously considered for the prize. Theses should directly address a topic central to health and medical geography. Membership in the American Association of Geographers is required, but membership in the HMGSG is not.
- Only electronic submissions will be considered.
- Theses must be in PDF (Adobe Acrobat) format, & completely anonymous to enable
double-blind reviews (i.e., the thesis must be free of all references to the author in the front matter, notes, references, headers, etc.).
- Submissions will be reviewed by at least two anonymous referees, who will make their recommendations to the HMGSG board.
Submission Email: The submission’s email subject line & email message must include the following information:
- the email subject heading should read as “HMGSG-AAG Jacques May submission”; &,
- the message should include:
- full name & current contact information department & university affiliation;
- title of thesis;
- thesis category (masters or doctoral) & date of completion;
- a brief abstract;
- thesis advisor’s name; &,
- names & email addresses of 3-4 potential reviewers.
- Reviewers must not be committee members or faculty at the student’s university or have any past formal association with the author (e.g., research collaboration, co-authorship, etc.).
- Key authors in the field (e.g., from the thesis’ bibliography) are appropriate.
Awards Decisions: The HMGSG will announce the winner of the prize before the AAG Meeting.
- Winners are expected to present at a special award session at the American Association of Geographers annual meeting in Seattle, WA in the spring of 2021.
Submission Deadline: The submission deadline is December 31, 2020.
Questions? contact by email both: